Approved by the president on November 30, 2010 and promulgated per December 14, 2010 Secretary-General of the Office of the President Hua Tsung Yi Shin Tzu No. 09900310600
Amendment of Point 7 approved by the president on May 30, 2014 and promulgated per June 6, 2014 Office of the President Hua Tsung Yi Shin Tzu No. 10310035220
Amendment of Point 3 approved by the president on December 5, 2016 and promulgated per December 9, 2016 Secretary-General of the Office of the President Hua Tsung Yi Shin Tzu No. 10510078280
Amendment to Point 2 and 7 approved by the president on April 26, 2017 and promulgated per May 2, 2017 Secretary-General of the Office of the President Hua Tsung Yi Shin Tzu No. 10600050992
No longer applicable as approved by the president on March 18, 2020 and promulgated per May 15, 2020 Secretary-General of the Office of the President Hua Tsung Yi Shin Tzu No. 10910030810
- The Presidential Office Human Rights Consultative Committee (HRCC) is hereby established in order to propagate the concepts and universal values of human rights, implement constitutional safeguards for the basic rights of the people, comply with international human rights norms, and strengthen the human rights consultative function.
- The tasks of the HRCC are as follows:
- Advocate for human rights policies and provide related advice.
- Research international human rights systems and legislation.
- Study and discuss international human rights exchange matters.
- Provide the president with advice on human rights-related matters.
- The HRCC shall have 15 to 21 committee members, of whom one shall serve as the convener, one or two who shall serve as deputy convener(s). The convener and deputy convener(s) shall be appointed by the president, while the other committee members shall be retained by the president from among government officials, scholars, experts, and private entities; among these, persons of any one gender shall not number less than one-third of the total. Committee members' terms of office shall be two years; provided, however, that when the president leaves office, their terms shall conclude on the day the president leaves office.
When a committee member's position becomes vacant, the term of the successor who is appointed/retained in accordance with the provisions of these Guidelines shall conclude on the day the original term was scheduled to conclude.
- The HRCC shall have one executive secretary and one or two deputy executive secretaries, who shall serve concurrently in these positions at the designation of the convener.
- The HRCC shall meet once every three months, and may meet in extraordinary session when necessary. All meetings shall be convened and presided over by the convener, and when the convener is unable to attend, the meeting shall be presided over by a deputy convener.
- When the HRCC meets, it may request the attendance of representatives of relevant government agencies/departments or private entities, or of any other relevant person. Meeting minutes shall be open to the public.
- As required by the principle UN Human Rights Conventions, the government shall regularly issue a national human rights report and convene an international review committee. The HRCC is to advise the government on these matters, and to ensure that concluding observations and recommendations are implemented.
- The HRCC shall be staffed by personnel seconded from the Office of the President and the relevant agencies under the Executive Yuan.
- Committee members and other persons who work for the HRCC shall all serve without remuneration.
- The funding required by the HRCC shall be provided by means of budgetary allocations by the Office of the President and the relevant agencies under the Executive Yuan.